Romans 1:16-17 (NKJV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”
This passage identifies a number of things about the gospel of Christ
1. The dictionary or Wikipedia definition of the gospel is:
In Christianity, the gospel (Greek: εὐαγγέλιον euangélion; Old English: gospel), or the Good News, is the news of the coming of the Kingdom of God (Mark 1:14-15), and of Jesus’s death on the cross and resurrection to restore people’s relationship with God
2. The simplicity of the gospel (lack of complication) almost makes it “too simple to believe”. One would expect that God should require us to do more to obtain such a great gift. However it requires simple faith to accept and believe that salvation and redemption for the whole of mankind is found and expressed in this simple message of the gospel.
3. It is the power of God with regards to salvation.
4. This salvation through the gospel is for everyone who believes
5. We attain the righteousness (or right standing) with God by believing the gospel
6. The righteous living that the born-again believer lives is a life sustained and lived by faith (and trust) in God’s righteousness given to us by belief in the gospel.